Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Bow: Departure date shifted by one week

This is not quite as intriguing as a Roald Dahl Tale of the Unexpected, nevertheless it has resulted in becoming embroiled philosophically with the conflict between Excitement and Carelessness.
 
Okay then, so last Friday I made my way home on city rail with my son's freshly re-haired violin bow...... no sooner than I stepped off the train did I realise that I had left the Bow (inside its white cardboard box)inside the carriage, did the train's doors decide to close..... no matter how loud I screamed for the train to stop, the train accelerated, chortling as it went, and not to dissimilar to sneering chortler with a sense of humour.

This sense of humour was not shared by me as I saw my life flash by in an instant, followed by an intense feeling of panic, closely butted with an awareness of how ridiculous this all was.

What made matters worse(and it is usually the case that there are always other matters to worsen any situation) my son is due to perform his audition pieces for the Conservatorium of music... you know - his tertiary future....

It is true that I sat in the train reading about cycle tours, and thereby slowly loosing the focus on the bow, and I accept that I was fundamentally in La La land, and so it was that the Bow was left behind.....

I found myself praying that it should appear in lost and found....no such luck... so then I thought that I would have to sell all my possessions to get a new violin bow... that means the bike and all my cycling gear.... for as any one who knows anything about violins that it is often the case that the bow is more important, and in financial terms a good Bow costs a small fortune.... bluntly... more expensive than all the cycle touring gear that I have....

So you see, 2 weeks before departure...catastrophe.... of my own making of course... excitement-induced carelessness......

As it turns out.... I have not sold my gear, but have to spend time hunting for a new bow with my son, hence having to shift everything by one week... I now am aware of the importance of being alert....

Excitement has its place, as does carelessness...they are not worthwhile companions.....I will keep this in mind whilst on the road.....because you never know what lurks.......

No comments:

Post a Comment